PRACTICAL IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW BASEL REQUIREMENTS
(SO-CALLED BASEL IV)
DATE: 21 – 24 MARCH 2021 | From 9:00 to 15:00 EGYPT TIME | CONRAD CAIRO HOTEL- CAIRO – EGYPT
The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) has finalized in December 2017 the final revisions to the Basel III package, complementing the initial phase of the Basel III reforms announced in 2010. The new reforms seek to restore credibility in the calculation of risk-weighted assets (RWAs) and improve the comparability of Banks’ capital ratios.
A key objective of the revisions incorporated into the framework is to reduce excessive variability of risk-weighted assets (RWA). The revisions to the regulatory framework will help restore credibility in the calculation of RWA by:
• Enhancing the robustness and risk sensitivity of the standardized approaches for credit risk and operational risk, which will facilitate the comparability of banks’ capital ratios;
• Constraining the use of internally modelled approaches
• Complementing the risk-weighted capital ratio with a finalized leverage ratio and a revised and robust capital floor. Banks worldwide will be affected by the new reforms and their solvency ratios might be positively or negatively impacted depending on the structure of their portfolios.
On completion of this workshop, participants will be able to have a clear, proper and practical understanding of the following topics:
• The main components and definition of regulatory capital and risk weighted assets;
• The improvements brought to the treatment of credit risk;
• The enhancements brought to the treatment of operational risk;
• The implementation of the leverage ratio surcharge introduced for the largest Banks;
• The implementation of the risk-sensitive output floor;
• The new implementation timetable.
• Basel requirements general knowledge;
• Understanding English.
• Regulatory Authorities;
• Risk Managers and senior staff in Banks;
• Financial Controllers and Financial Managers and senior staff in Banks;
• Treasurers and Capital Markets Managers and senior staff in Banks;
• Internal Auditors and senior staff in Banks;
• External Auditors and their main assistants.
المواضيع الرئيسية والبرنامج الزمني:
• Basel II Overview
• Basel III Overview
• Overview on the initial standardized approach for credit risk; and
• Case Study.
• Revisions to the standardized approach for credit risk to enhance the regulatory framework;
• Amendments brought to the exposures to Banks;
• Amendments brought to the exposures to Corporates and SMEs;
• Stand-alone treatment for exposures to project finance, object finance and commodities finance;
• Residential real estate exposures new risk-sensitive approaches;
• Case Study.
• Retail exposures treatment & overview on the more granular new treatment;
• Commercial real estate exposures treatment;
• Subordinated debt & equity exposures treatment;
• Off-balance sheet items treatment and the credit conversion factors (CCFs);
• Internal ratings-based approaches for credit risk;
• Removal of the use of the advanced IRB approach for certain asset classes;
• Specification of input floors;
• Additional enhancements; and
• Case Study.
• CVA risk framework;
• New Operational Risk Management requirements;
• Leverage ratio framework;
• Buffer for global systemically important Banks;
• Refinements to the leverage ratio exposure measure;
• Output floor;
• Transitional arrangements.
DR. RODRIGUE ABI –EL HESN
• Senior Manager and Group Head of Strategy & Risk Analytics at Credit Libanais s.a.l, Beirut, Lebanon;
• University Lecturer in Lebanon;
• Trainer and lecturer at the Union of Arab Banks and many other Arab and International training firms;
• INSEAD Alumnus, graduated from its AMP, holds a Master’s degree in Banking and Finance, has a Bachelor degree in Finance and in Business Administration from UQÀM in Canada and earned several degrees and international professional certifications.
• Participated in dozens of international workshops on banking supervision, risk management and corporate governance and frequent speaker in major international conferences and workshops, covering a variety of areas of his expertise;
• Professional banking career, spanning over fifteen years in the financial industry, having worked in the entire spectrum of financial risk management functions, culminating in core competency as a professional in enterprise-wide risk management.
For more information and registration kindly send an email to: [email protected]