Union of Arab Banks Webinar: THE NEW BASEL COMMITTEE MEASURES
to Cope with the Impact of COVID – 19
The COVID-19 is a serious health threat, but also economic and financial mounting threat that is believed it could reduce real GDP growth in 2020 by at least 2 to 3 percentage points.
It is hard to expect how broadly the virus will ultimately spread and how virulent it will be, but it has already become highly disruptive to all economies. The regional economies are not be immune to its effects.
Governments in many jurisdictions around in globe have introduced extraordinary support measures to alleviate the financial and economic impact of the current crisis. In the same context, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision has set out similar measures. These measures support the provision of lending by Banks to the real economy and provide additional operational capacity for Banks and supervisors to respond to the immediate financial stability priorities.
Since we recognize that this crisis has significant implications on the business environment in the region, we kindly invite you to a Free Webinar that will discuss the main technical clarifications to highlight how Banks can reflect the risk-reducing effect of these measures when conducting business.
Main topics include:
- The current and unfolding situation and Impact on key sectors.
- The Implications on the economy and business environment (What Would a Covid-19 Induced Recession Look Like?).
- Measures introduced by regulators worldwide and in the region to ensure that the global banking system remains financially and operationally resilient.
- Governors & Heads of Supervision decision to defer the Basel III implementation.
- Expected credit loss accounting treatment.
- Transitional arrangements for the regulatory capital treatment of ECL accounting.
- Changes with respect to Global Systemically Important Banks (GSIBS).
- Post-crisis measures. Will there be any lasting economic consequences of Covid-19? What is the Likely Recovery Path?
Dr. Rodrigue Abi – El Hesn
- Senior Manager and Group Head of Strategy & Risk Analytics at Credit Libanais s.a.l, Beirut – Lebanon.
- Professional banking career, spanning over fifteen years in the financial industry, having worked in the entire spectrum of financial risk management functions.
- University Lecturer in Lebanon.
- Trainer and lecturer at the Union of Arab Banks and many other Arab and International training firms.
- Participated in dozens of international workshops on banking supervision, risk management and corporate governance and frequent speaker in major international conferences and workshops, covering a variety of areas of his expertise.
For more information and registration
Kindly send an email to:
or visit UAB website: www.uabonline.org